[Tango-L] Tango-L/Social-ethical behaviors and protocols

Ruben Malan rubenmalan at comcast.net
Mon Aug 16 10:09:07 EDT 2010

[Tango-L] Social-ethical behaviors and protocols

Regarding John's statement:

"Ruben Malan disapproves of the pursuit of the opposite sex at milongas
because teenagers might be present."  John Ward Bristol, UK

Not necessarily true John. Please, read my post again. It is acceptable if
done with decency, prudence, and respect, observing the spoken and unspoken
codes. It is also natural and inevitable.

I plainly and respectfully disagree with Trini's assertions:

"Oh, come on.  Chasing the opposite sex is what gave popularity to the tango
in the first place.  I seriously doubt that the first milongueros were
thinking about "art" as they were practicing with each other."

Some rationale already presented.

Please consider that there are different kind of milongas. More
specifically, I was talking about our local regular ones. I comfortably
endorse the following Sergio's wise comments:

"If some romance develops, even better. But the main purpose of going there
is to dance, just for the pleasure of dancing.  It is not the favorite place
to pick up women.  There are many other places and occasions."

"I think that it is fair to say that today, most people go to the milongas
to dance. There is limited socialization, you arrive, you greet people that
you know and you sit. "

Frankly, I hope I will find a "soul-mate" for myself at a milonga (I doubt
it), but I'm not going to them with that purpose in mind. It will negatively
affect my concentration, my technique, and my performing as a dancer.
Moreover, intuitive woman (most of them) easily detects when a gentleman is
needy looking for also a"chase."

Besides, I must be faithful with my own unspoken milongas codes fortunately
adopted by many in these days. Independently of women's appearances,
attractiveness, marital status, age, height, size, and skills, I personally
observe the following rules relevant to this friendly discussion:

1)Dance with good dancers to learn and improve. They often give me a good
and sincere advise.

2)Dance with those ladies who are new to make them feel well and welcome.

3)Dance with followers who are not often invited, to be fair and encourage
them to comeback.

4)Dance with ladies that are ignored because they are beginners. Perhaps I
may have a chance to contribute to their further development.

5)Dance with your friends, and your friend's partners for courtesy at least
once.

Regarding Anton's statement: "Why the need to sanitize?"

I'm nobody to sanitize or heal anybody or any milonga. I'm busy working in
my own improvement and practicing tango. I can make a humble contribution
however, by sharing my views. Usually, we sanitize to prevent contamination
and sickness. I believe in preventive medicine. In the light of Nicetune's
unhealthy and disturbing experience, perhaps "purify" rather than
 "disinfect" will be better actions or only wishful verbs. Even better, what
about EDUCATE rather than heal?

Ruben Malan