[Tango-L] Music preferences

macfroggy@aol.com macfroggy at aol.com
Fri Aug 6 16:48:47 EDT 2010

(Although I had heard that no

one would dance when Gardel sings or is played, out of respect to him.)

 I believe Gardel is not danced because the tempos wax and wane and it truly is music for listening, not out of respect for him. There are many tangos that are not danced for the same reason--Por Una Cabeza is another example (except for in a Scent of a Woman). But we're talking traditional milongas here. Neither are women vocalists played for dancing. Go figure. Or several taboos and preferences of the very traditional Porteño milonguero.

Cherie
http://tangocherie.blogspot.com