[Tango-L] Social-ethical behaviours and protocols

macfroggy@aol.com macfroggy at aol.com
Fri Aug 6 16:42:01 EDT 2010

These rules apply more to the locals than visiting foreigners. There's quite a taboo against dancing with the "woman" of an Argentino, but not really with tourists. The locals understand that tourists are here to dance and perhaps don't know the codigos, so things are looser with foreigners, with no disrespect.

The codigos even go so far as to prevent a milonguero from dancing with the friends of someone he dances with regularly, or who sit at the same table. And equally, a man's friends do not dance with his favorite partners or those who sit with her. It's all out of respect.

Personally speaking, I "can" only dance with foreigners (with permission) and rarely local friends, while Ruben can dance with anyone he wants. And it's fine with me; I don't have a problem with that because he doesn't abuse the privilege. And I don't want to dance with everyone anyway. So the codigos work out very well for me, and always have; in fact, I LOVE them, because I feel safe and respected.

Cherie
http://tangocherie.blogspot.com

<<This question may be superfluous for some, and perhaps controversial for many,

ut I'm wondering if there is any known written or unwritten code of ethics

egarding girlfriends  and boyfriends, fiancés, husbands and wives proper

ehaviors Not only among themselves but  dancing with other partners also. Are

here any traditional unspoken rules at the Buenos Aires Milongas regarding how

ccompanied women or men should behave with the opposite sex (or same sex)

asual partners, without falling in the "questionable" or  "excess" category?

El Urugua en Tally