[Tango-L] Music preferences

Huck Kennedy tempehuck at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 14:58:49 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 8:34 AM, Ilene Marder <imhmedia at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Many many leaders in NY and elsewhereprefer to dance  to instrumental
> music and openly express a dislike for vocals. I have heard this many
> times thru the years of DJing.... these are also very good, eperienced
> leaders, not  just beginners. They either say the melody throws them
> off, or that they don't like that they can't understand the lyrics and a
> few have said they canlt stand the "sniffling and whiny" quality of some
> vocal!!!
> I disagree completely...but that's what I have experienced.

       It is very possible to dance for a long time and be technically
proficient in movement and still have idea what tango is all about.

       "Sniffing and whiny?"  Excuse me?  (I'm asking them and not
you, of course--you get it).  Why, a tango ain't a tango until the
protagonist whips out his trusty old panuelo to sop up the tears,
either his or those of some young damsel in emotional distress.    :-)

        I particularly enjoyed the "they don't like that they can't
understand the lyrics" part.  I suppose these same fine upstanding
ethnocentric gentlemen don't like Beethoven's Ninth because they can't
understand the German vocals in the fourth movement.

> I think they are in the minority!

       Thank God.

Huck