[Tango-L] Review of Cuartetango's "Romance de Tango"

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 12:10:01 EDT 2010

Last night Cuartetango began this year's tour of “Romance de Tango” at Washington & Jefferson College in nearby Washington, PA.  Although seemingly positioned as a music concert, it really is a full-fledged tango show with 6 dancers giving some nice and energetic interpretations of the music.  The coordination between orchestra and dancers was particularly evident during the stronger second half of the show.  The show was warmly received by the conservative audience in the full house, but I couldn’t help but wish that the show would have played in Pittsburgh, which would have given it the enthusiastic response the show deserved.  The normally supportive Latin American population and tango dancers were in short supply due to short notice.

Conceived and directed by Leonardo Suarez Paz, “Romance de Tango” features the Cuartetango string quintet (Leonardo, Sami Merdinian and Ron Lawrence on violin, Daniel Miller on cello) with the addition of bandoneonist Hector Del Curto and pianist Octavio Brunetti.  Missing was one member of the quintet. Their neotango music (influenced by Piazzola, Salgan, and jazz) was well executed.  Hector and Octavio really made a much fuller sound than the quintet would have had on its own.  Unfortunately, we could not see Hector’s bandoneon, which was completely obscured by the music stand.   I hope they can remedy that at future shows.

Pieces included several new compositions, along with a mix of classic tango (Milonga de Mis Amores, Amurado, Recuerodo, Desde el Alma), lots of Piazzola (Chiquilin de Bachin, Milonga Loca, Melancolico Buenos Aires, Escualo, Violentango), and more.  All in all, a nice mix for a show.  Leonardo also sung quite a bit when he wasn’t playing violin or dancing, peaking with his rendition of El Dia Que Me Quieras).  Although the music ensemble opened the second half with A Fuego Lento sans dancers, I think the musicians could have been highlighted better.  They didn’t have a piece that drew the audience in emotionally, though the talent was certainly there.

Dancing were Leonardo and his wife Olga, Diego Blanco & Carolina Jaurena, and Natalia Royo with Junior Cervila.  The ensemble presented some interesting characters, including a geeky Diego, temptress Carolina, and a rascally Junior.  Junior and Natalia displayed some awesome athletics, including a very deep bridge, a one-handed lift, and an amazing flip of Natalia.  They drew applause and gasps during their performances.  I can’t think of any tango dancer who has Junior’s strength.  His performance was not all acrobatics, however, and it really lifted the quality of the show.  Carolina stood out among the women as the best tanguera of the three with beautiful lines and foot work.  Olga and Natalia were also excellent, but their backgrounds are mostly in other dancers.  Diego looked smooth and relaxed.  Carolina and Diego were an excellent pairing, and I think this show will make them better known.

In the second half, Leonardo and Olga danced through two pieces (El Dia Que Me Quieras, Desde el Alma) to create a story of two lovers separated but then joyfully reunited.  Their happy Desde el Alma was a refreshing change from the melodrama shown by many performers.  Olga also surprised us with her lovely voice for Se Dice De Mi.  So clear that Sean & I initially thought she was lip synching since this talent was not mentioned in the program notes.  Given their talents it was a little surprising that Leonardo and Olga didn’t sing a duet.

The small venue allowed the dancers to effectively communicate feeling to the audience, not just through their movements but also their expressions.  Wardrobe changes were simple, and the clothes of the women reflected their dance styles.  The only problem was a purplish dress of Olga’s that appeared to have a distracting red tail for one number.  Dance execution was near flawless, just barely perceptible bobbles and one late ending.  There were some creative variations that I’d love to steal.  Dancers who think that Nuevo is the only way to be creative could learn some lessons from this ensemble.

All in all, I’d give it 4 stars out of five.  An excellent show folks should try to see.  Leonardo came out to sign CD’s after the show, though it would have been nice to have congratulated other cast members, as well.

Tickets are still available for their shows in Cleveland
http://www.cleveland.com/events/index.ssf/event/viva-gala-2010-romance-de-tango/132666/2010-04-09

and Freeport, NY.
http://www.freeportconcertassociation.com/

Tickets may have sold out in Pasadena and Austin.  For more on Cuartetango, go to www.cuartetango.com

I have no financial interest in this show.

Trini de Pittsburgh