[Tango-L] Tango Styles clarification

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 29 12:23:57 EDT 2009

Vince asked me to send to the list my note sent to him by private mail.

Vince, In first place I wish to let you know I do not hold any grudge against you, or at least with good Tanguero spirit I do my best not to hold a grudge.

Traditional tango is the most complete style, one could say that the elements used in the other styles are taken from traditional tango.

Traditional tango has a close embrace and an open embrace.

It has all the "firuletes" (embellishments), Boleos (low, mid, high), Amagues (low or high),Dibujos (lapiz, rulos), sacadas, ganchos, arrastres, paradas, you name it.

Traditional tango may be used for social dancing or for stage.

"Salon" is a term used to distinguish the social dance done in a home, a club, a dancing hall, etc, from the "stage" tango done in musicals and exhibition.

So you can dance traditional tango socially in close or open embrace, or alternating the embrace as necessary, with few or with many embellishments.Or you can dance Traditional tango on stage or socially using all sort of embellishments if there is enough space.

 When you see boleos, amagues, barridas, dibujos,soltadas, etc, this does not mean that this is Nuevo Tango.

It still is Traditional tango. Nuevo uses the same elements that are present in Traditional tango but uses a very open embrace, and certain elements continuously, (heel sacadas, hooks, soltadas, boleos, amagues, colgadas, volcadas, back boleos, etc. plus certain changes of direction, plus frequent use of non tango music, and a particular way of dressing.

Milonguero uses certain steps and figures, also taken from traditional tango; but this time it takes figures to adapt the dance to crowded spaces.

I hope that this helps to clarify this subject. I noticed that abroad some people think that any tango with embellishments is Nuevo . This is not so.

Here you have some examples:

 World championship Tangosocial Club (Traditional stage tango). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuJIu6HFrwI World championship Salon

(Traditional social tango) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUzLo1OfF5k&feature=PlayList&p=E6BF6941EF04A9DD&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=61

Traditional tango http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAZ9_ywdIhQ&feature=PlayList&p=E6BF6941EF04A9DD&index=63&playnext=3&playnext_from=PL