[Tango-L] No place left to dance

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Mon Oct 26 11:08:42 EDT 2009

Maybe you'd have to attend in order to understand, instead of
imagining that a single youtube carries the whole truth.

We have seven milongas to try, each with a somewhat different focus.
All of them are oriented to social dancing, i.e. non-show tango. They
are pretty crowded, so large moves aren't very appropriate. Obviously
you can't control everybody, so it is certainly possible to find a
video of someone doing a big boleo at one of these festivals.

If you wanted to sit out one of the milongas, you could. Or, you are
free not to come at all.

On Oct 24, 2009, at 5:34 PM, Chris, UK wrote:

>> As the organizer for the Denver & San Diego festivals, I can reassure
>> you that the concept of festivals for social dancing remains: "By
>> Dancers; for Dancers".
>
> Please, Tom, explain how your:
>
>  http://tango.org/2010sdfest
>  The 4th Annual San Diego Tango Festival will be a Southern California
>  treat for all tango dancers who love the social tango popular in the
>  milongas of Buenos Aires: close, subtle & romantic.
>
> squares with your:
>
>  Sat, 3:00 - 07:00, DJ TBA, "Alternative Music Milonga" $15
>
> and the likes of:
>
>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS9sMTtozZI
>
> Or if the nuevo dancing at your festivals is any /less/ antithetic to
> BA-style social tango, please post a video to illustrate.
>
> --
> Chris

Tom Stermitz
http://www.tango.org