[Tango-L] ¿Código -- historia?

Alberto Gesualdi clambat2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Oct 26 08:51:55 EDT 2009

Thank you Andy, I will read this paper, and translate part of it, is too long for the standard messages of tango L policy, to copy all.

One difficult that I see with this works, as well as the note of Benzecry Saba on milonga codes, is the ... let s say " fairy tale" approach.

Once the writer starts to describe or comment something, it takes it out from what it is, a real place with an everyda changing life, to a mental construction, a label if you want .

To give an example , Benzecry Saba comments on a tango academy , the Gaeta school. so the reader, today , year 2009 , tend to imagine a tango school like the schools are today.

A friend of mine, long milonguero experience, came from his town of a province, 2.000 km aways from Buenos Aires, to work and study here. He dance some tango in his town, but their experience was in folklore dances. So he see this advertisement on a newspaper ( this was the 60´s , almost 50 years ago), and went to this Gaeta " school". On his own words, he find a filthy hole , where some people come and go, without a true teaching, but some practice , erratic , without a syllabus or method. One of the assistants was Todaro , mainly his assistance was to lead pupils or to make them lead, years later he made his "Todaro" method.

this is something that has to be taken into account. There were no "teachers", but people that dance. On the 80's some other people here in Buenos Aires, notice there was demand for tango teachers, and take this men and women, who was very simple people ( some of them , living on a small pension as public servants retired ), and present this "tango apilado" style , as something that was the authentic argentine tango.

This brand of "styles" was something made for marketing reasons . Another  old milonguero told a researcher on tango history , with his naive vision " let me see if I understand, you are working on an university paper , explaining what we do inside this milonga ?? And your teachers at the university thinks this is a subject ?? How wonderful !!"

alberto

      Yahoo! Cocina

http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/