[Tango-L] Denver Festival Milonga Floor Metrics Contribute to Lane Formation

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 21 10:25:50 EDT 2009

--- On Tue, 10/20/09, Jack Dylan <jackdylan007 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Jack Dylan <jackdylan007 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Tango-L] Denver Festival Milonga Floor Metrics Contribute to Lane Formation
>
> What a strange post from an experienced leader and teacher.
>

> Lanes, of course, are good but my navigation is mostly
> governed by the space and the people around me. Looking at the floor
> tiles to assist navigation doesn't sound like a good idea, because it
> would take my attention away from the music, my partner and the people
> around me.

I don't find it strange at all, but experienced men such as Brian don't need to look directly at the floor when dancing.  They use periphery vision and look in the distance.  In the distance what do they see?  They see people aligned to the edge of the portable dance floor, which is squared to the walls of the room.  They can also see the metal thingies that hold the floor together, which form straight lines all along the dance floor.  That promotes order, even if it is only unconsciously.  Moreso than, say, a linoleum floor with a pattern of colorful circles sprinkled about.

Having these portable dance floors delineates the dance floor much better than a wall-to-wall wooden floor with round tables around the edges.  Chairs can get pushed onto the dance floor, people can weave in out and of the dance floor.  The edge of the dance floor is less certain.  I'm sure Tom didn't plan it this way, but it seems to work out quite well.

I think Brian's description can be a useful guide to newcomers at festivals or anyone else who is trying to improve their navigation.

Trini