[Tango-L] Denver Festival Milonga Floor Metrics Contribute to Lane Formation

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 20 23:30:40 EDT 2009

> From: Brian Dunn brianpdunn at earthlink.net

> the square components of these
> floors look like they measure three or four feet on a side, and they are
> edged with thin metal edges fit flush with the finished floor.  As I
> navigate them, it's kind of comporting to know that these floor components
> make really nicely dimensioned "lanes" on the floor, complete with 90-degree
> turn angles, which approximate the 1-meter square "baldosa" tile idea
> >
> This clear lane specification really helps me relax as a leader, knowing
> that those around me are inhabiting a mutually understood, comfortably
> well-defined share of the immediate space, and as long as I and my partner
> also stay within our share/square, everybody wins.

What a strange post from an experienced leader and teacher.

Lanes, of course, are good but my navigation is mostly governed by
the space and the people around me. Looking at the floor tiles to assist
navigation doesn't sound like a good idea, because it would take my
attention away from the music, my partner and the people around me.

And, IMHO, looking down is just a terrible way to dance and certainly
shouldn't be encouraged. I would say never look at the floor.

Jack