[Tango-L] So what is authentic Argentine tango?

tony parkes macromagix at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 14:38:45 EDT 2009

whoa, hold on vince...

i agree with most of what you have writ, basically summarised as not
encouraging nuevo to be danced in traditional milonga venues whilst
traditional music is being played. but you included canyengue within
your exclusions !  why, when every dj in traditional milonga venues
plays at least one canyengue tanda a night - carlos at los
consagradros often plays 2 canyengue tandas, and if he plays a slow
donato tanda then you can count 3 canyengue tandas - muy bien :)

extrapolate this line of thought - when the dj plays vals, milonga,
canyengue, candombe, chacarera, rock'n'roll or a tango pugliese or di
sarli, then that is what you should try to dance. but if you are not
up to speed you either sit it out or else dance to the best of your
ability WITHOUT INTRUDING, without dancing contrary to both the
physical and kinetic energy flows. this is what nuevo dancers seem
happy to ignore.

for example, last tuesday at el arranque (given my age away haven't i)
was reasonably crowded so we all danced to our less than roughly 1x1
ie 1 square metre of floor space, except of course the young couple
dancing nuevo in the centre whose extravagant style demanded at least
2x2 metres ie 4 sqm of space.

vince, i don't think you can lay down rules/labels to exclude types of
dance styles or steps. we all know when the dance style is nuevo or
traditional or vals or candombe or canyengue or rock'n'roll without
referring to a list. here in buenos aires there are dedicated
alternative milongas, it is just a shame that a handful are selfish
enough and arrogant enough not to give a damn about other people's
feelings.

i have no problem with nuevo developing as a dance form, we all know
the only thing constant is change. the problem is the attitude of
those who take up neuvo with exhibitionist zeal, over inflated egos
and no consideration for others.

cheers
tony

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:58 PM, Vince Bagušauskas <vytis at hotmail.com> wrote:

> (Resent, because this borrowed computer had Rich Text as a default)
>

> Reading the further postings on Tango 2000... for Dummies and the off list emails I have recieved, raises the suggestion that, the organisers should put up a sandwich board outside the milonga door/a notice in their newsletter/internet postings etc, that says clearly and plainly what style of dancing is permitted as conditions of entry (like entry to car-parks), rather than rely on quiet hope that the music will keep the riff-raff away (it doesn't as I have said in a previous post). Maybe like thus (borrowing from Tango L and elsewhere):
>

> A/ Tango Milonga
>
> It is a social activity consisting of
>

> Meeting and dancing with friends old and new
> Seeking a tango trance
> Lanes that progress around the room; no zig-zagging around the middle
> Smaller 2-3 step sequences and rock steps
> Moderate strides and cautious boleos
> Maybe occasional brushes with other dancers
>

> B/ Authentic Argentine tango
>
> (i) What is allowed?
>
> Salon-style tango including:
>
> milonguero/apilado/petitero/caquero/Villa Urquiza
> club tango
>
> Golden age tango music from the late 30’s to the 50’s
>

> (ii) What is not allowed?
>

> Tango orillero
> Tango nuevo, including volcadas, kicks above the knee, multiple guanchos
> Fantasia/salon tango
> cayengue
> tango music post 1950’s
> alternative/neo tango music
>

> Thoughts?
>

> Cheers!
>
> Vince
>

> Click Here View photos of singles in your area

cheers
tony