[Tango-L] So what is authentic Argentine tango?

Vince Bagušauskas vytis at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 19 07:58:22 EDT 2009

(Resent, because this borrowed computer had Rich Text as a default)

Reading the further postings on Tango 2000... for Dummies and the off list emails I have recieved, raises the suggestion that, the organisers should put up a sandwich board outside the milonga door/a notice in their newsletter/internet postings etc, that says clearly and plainly what style of dancing is permitted as conditions of entry (like entry to car-parks), rather than rely on quiet hope that the music will keep the riff-raff away (it doesn't as I have said in a previous post). Maybe like thus (borrowing from Tango L and elsewhere):

A/ Tango Milonga

It is a social activity consisting of

Meeting and dancing with friends old and new
Seeking a tango trance
Lanes that progress around the room; no zig-zagging around the middle
Smaller 2-3 step sequences and rock steps
Moderate strides and cautious boleos
Maybe occasional brushes with other dancers

B/ Authentic Argentine tango

(i) What is allowed?

Salon-style tango including:

milonguero/apilado/petitero/caquero/Villa Urquiza
club tango

Golden age tango music from the late 30’s to the 50’s

(ii) What is not allowed?

Tango orillero
Tango nuevo, including volcadas, kicks above the knee, multiple guanchos
Fantasia/salon tango
cayengue
tango music post 1950’s
alternative/neo tango music

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Vince

Click Here View photos of singles in your area