[Tango-L] TANGO 2000 ............For DUMMIES

ECSEDY Áron aron at milonga.hu
Mon Oct 19 07:10:23 EDT 2009

Dear Jack,
> Aron, can you give us some reasons why you don't want to see separate
> milongas, other than the one above, which makes no sense, unless you
> think that Nuevo couldn't exist on its own.

You are absolutely right. Nuevo is not a dance. It is tango. Separating
it would make it a separate dance after a while. I think you have
visually identified something that you call nuevo around you which even
I would not classify tango. I dance TANGO using nuevo technique.
> Separate milongas/practicas work in BsAs, why not elsewhere?

Umm. We are continuously talking about different things. Nuevo does not
separate. You can see all those 'nuevo' dancers in all the milongas (of
course they tend to frequent certain places more, but that tells you
more about the mood of the place than the style danced). Actually I was
taken around by a bunch of nuevo dancers in the trad milongas too. I see
no difference. But they still frequent schools like DNI.

As for nuevo dancers are teachers in Europe. Most European countries
have a smaller population than your average US county or even medium
cities. Even the big ones are fragmented by ethnic, traditional or
language boundaries. Obviously, many communities are small, so most
dancers who know what they do start to teach. I've seen this in many
cities. Also, most places (notable exceptions are the large
metropolises) have only one milonga on the same evening and it is NOT
normal to have milongas each day (in Hungary it is still considered a
major diplomatic offense to launch a new milonga when there is one on
the same day). In Budapest, there are 2M people, with over 3M if you
include the agglomeration zone. The second largest city in Hungary has
barely 300.000 people., the third half that much. Entire population is
less than 10M. Nevertheless, we have 4 regular milongas, maybe a bit
more during the summer (because of the open air stuff) in Budapest, and
only one city has a milonga - which is really only for one club there
with a dozen or so people.

Simply, the community is not large enough to support separate
traditional/nuevo milongas. Also, for an average milonga attendance of
40-60 people (Budapest), there are over a dozen people who do teach. Of
course, they aren't teaching that 60 people. Simply, the amount of
activity and overall tango population numbers are different: the mailing
list for tango has over 300 members, tango courses usually churn out an
average of a 1000 people per year. The problem is that most Hungarians
are simply not interested in going to milongas, only learning 'some
tango' (long story - has to do with danceschool tradition: people are
led to believe for decades, that they only need 8-lesson courses and
they have the basics in any dance). So milongas became the meeting point
for the fanatics, the elite, a large percent of them with enough
knowledge to teach (this is something we are trying to change
desperately - especially the nuevo folks...). Also, most of Eastern
Europe is nuevo land. Traditional teachers were considered lame by the
general population, because dancing is/was mostly a stage phenomenon
(after 40 years of state sponsored cheap elitist dance education and
performances - along with the Soviet-Russian influence - it is a normal
attitude) for the older people, for the younger ones, the freedom (and
the youth of teachers) in nuevo was/is more appealing. That's about it,
I guess. But nuevo folks dance to traditional tango, in close embrace,
even if sometimes (when they have the space and the chance) to fancy
stuff as well. For us it is completely organic to show characteristics
of nuevo, salón, even canyuengue within the same dance... purists may
cry now.

Cheers,
Aron

--