[Tango-L] TANGO 2000 ............For DUMMIES

Ecsedy Áron aron at milonga.hu
Sun Oct 18 08:43:32 EDT 2009

I am happy for your responses. I DO AGREE with ALL of you in almost all
aspects, except complete separation of MILONGAS.

Maybe this medium of e-mail is not sufficient or I am not adept at using
it, or it is simply my lack of native English skills.

- yes I do agree that it is WRONG if ANY dancer scares puts you on the
defensive, however, there must be a limit what you consider your own
space. With my BsAs example I was only showing that this is very
subjective. I did not propose a certain amount, only awareness of
different norms in an international environment (and that also includes:
a Swede and a Greek will have different sense of personal space too) -
this list IS international environment.
- yes I do agree that ALL dancers should be aware of the REACTION of
others to their own movements, and to be aware of the 'danger' others'
movements pose to them
- I do agree that milongas should be a COMMON venture, where all dancers
can dance together without annoying each other
- I do BELIEVE that nuevo should not be used as an excuse to dance
offensively
- I do KNOW that many, if not most, nuevo dancers (perhaps not in your
community, but in many other places - my samping area is mostly Europe
and BsAs) are aware of this and dance accordingly when NEEDED
- As for Chicho dancing socially: he is dancing his style - named nuevo
by most - still then, but (as I tried to express myself in the previous
posts) that does NOT imply that he is going to kick your head off while
slamming into you in the clockwise direction (which considering his
structure and top speed would not just be dangerous, but outright
lethal), he is merely using his style and technique to dance small and
'social'. All dancers in the 'nuevo' lot you mentioned from Arce, Chicho
etc. consider themselves mainly social dancers as I was made aware in no
uncertain terms when I asked them to perform on stage (they did accept,
but they weren't so happy about it).
- nevertheless I do NOT believe that separation of milongas could be an
answer to anything (except the possible annihilation of a style you are
protecting), as for practicas, they are not more than a class without a
teacher, so they immediately imply a certain closed subgroup of dancers.

I hope that clears that we are just using different perspectives and
some unconcious dogma-like markers to identify styles, while essentially
agreeing on most of the VALUES (even if arriving to a different
conclusion for the 'enforcement' of these - which is IMHO sounds a bit
strange when a group of people understand the root causes, agree on the
values but try to implement methods to make this values generally
enforced using methods we DON'T agree on. As a sidenote: sounds like the
sign of times all over the planet...)

Cheers,
Aron