[Tango-L] TANGO 2000 ............For DUMMIES

Ecsedy Áron aron at milonga.hu
Fri Oct 16 22:03:59 EDT 2009

Hello Jay,
>> ... they are still causing trouble: by taking up more room than everybody
>> else, by not advancing in the line of dance ... and by charging into any open space.
>>

> This last, charging into any open space, is particularly disruptive, as it requires everyone else to pay more attention to which way they're going to dart next, detracting from paying attention to the music and our partners.

Theeere we go then. I had that distinct impression that this might be
the problem. I think I've referred to it as well. This IMO is a very
Western phenomenon: you are frightened by their sudden moves, and they
are not really aware of their delta-v or the 'flow' of their movements.

To elaborate on this: If you have ever stood in a line at a supermarket
in BsAs, you'll know that those guys have no sense of 'personal space'
as we know it. In essence, personal space under their understanding is
restricted to the volume your body actually fills and not a millimeter
more. This has two profound secondary effects: 1) foreigners mostly
cannot take this, they're scared shitless when someone passes close, it
feels threatening to many of them 2) portenos usually don't use high
delta-v (they might be fast, but the acceleration is nothing I am used
to, they also seem to be irritated by that). The first one is something
that you can get used to. My partner had problems with it outside the
dance floor. After two weeks I was quite happy with it as it was obvious
that locals DO go for open spaces. Actually, this is the way to move
fast through a huge crowd on the street without problems. They do that,
but they also slow down when space is scarce, OR if with slightly
squeezing in or with a 'permiso' they can make space, they will. As for
the second problem it is quite obvious from how portenos drive: during
my stays I've never seen anything resembling the sudden and agressive
overtakings so natural around our parts, especially in Hungary. They
simply know that if they do that could mean a certain accident. As I see
it, right of way goes to people whom are more forward (so they can't see
you directly, but you can see them - sensible), who have large cars
(also sensible in a way) or those who approach a lot faster (happens
mainly when a line is standing, with the other moving a lot faster -
probably the only occasion they look into a sidemirror - very sensible
again). These rules appear to work on the dancefloor as well and you
don't seem to need more. Minor planning range is needed but for that you
only need to communicate your intention of direction and speed.
Admittedly, this is something that may be missing from some nuevo
enthusiasts.

The concept also includes disregarding a lot of rules you take for
granted. For instance: changing 'lanes' (in BsAs nobody is observing the
lanes painted on the road, and use 8 lanes on a 6 lane road) without
indicator lights, when someone is RIGHT beside you is completely
acceptable. In ANY Western country you would be pulled out of your car
by the next red light and beaten up on the spot for 'trying to kill' the
driver. In Hungary, they wouldn't even wait for the red light, you'd
pushed down from the road before, and the other driver, father of two,
would kick your teeth in... In general, their customs are malleable,
while Western cultures use rules that are not. Sometimes, breaking a
rule in Europe that has no impact on anything (not even more than a
passing witness) is punished. Customs are only customs. If you break
them it is not the end of the world...

If you can overcome your fear of couples speeding and trusting them to
avoid you, you'll feel absolutely comfortable. It is a scentific fact,
that in Western societies most people are raised with a very poor
experience in what is called limbic resonance (the reason why having a
shrink is a commonplace today). That comes with the relatively crappy
ability to react to body language and motion clues, therefore
overreaction to any ambigous stimulus - such as speeding youngsters
(note: your limbic system is the key to all non-verbalizable, emotional
communication, and limbic effects are inherently non-conscious and
cannot be made conscious which is a feature not a bug). Obviously, you
need to train yourself to be less jumpy. Also, youngsters should be
taught that they should be communicating their long term lane of
movement more efficiently to allow planning for you.

Cheers,
Aron

--
Ecsedy Áron