[Tango-L] TANGO 2000 ............For DUMMIES

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 16 18:32:33 EDT 2009

--- On Fri, 10/16/09, ECSEDY Áron <aron at milonga.hu> wrote:

> David, I think you are very much stuck into your specific
> tango environment, where what you understand to be 'nuevo'
> correlates with crappy navigation skills. This is definitely
> not true to many, I risk it, most 'nuevo' communities.
> Maybe there is an unqualified teacher/organizer around,

The people who cause trouble at milongas with tango nuevo
stuff are often very skillful. They are not exactly
clueless, though they are certainly inconsiderate.
>From what I can tell, their attitude is that they are
doing OK since they don't bump into anybody.
What they are failing to see is that they are still
causing trouble: by taking up more room than everybody
else, by not advancing in the line of dance (whirling
endlessly instead), and by charging into any open space.

I wouldn't mind (probably wouldn't even notice) if
people would do the tango nuevo stuff without being
disruptive, but there is an actual connection between
the "novedad" of tango nuevo and the disruption.
What's new is a particular analysis of steps:
not a new analysis of embrace, or music, or socializing,
but of steps. So naturally steps are emphasized --
big and flashy -- and naturally people who go in for
that don't find it important to consider what effect
they have on other people, except to avoid stepping
on them.