[Tango-L] TANGO 2000 ............For DUMMIES

HBBOOGIE1@aol.com HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com
Fri Oct 16 13:30:00 EDT 2009

TANGO 2000 FOR DUMMIES

Lesson  1    Nuevo Tango

The challenge: Argentine Tango is forever  changing and evolving and that’s
a good thing. I admire the younger generation  for it’s Nuevo Tango and all
the work and effort they put into it however  because of the nature of the
way Nuevo is danced it conflicts with the standard  etiquette of traditional
social Tango. Perhaps no one has ever explained the  rules but that doesn't
matter because the rules don't apply to Nuevo because of  the way it’s
danced. So you see it’s a big problem that might not have a simple  solution.

Let me explain a couple of rules just so you know what I'm  talking about.

Tango is danced in a “line of dance” counter clockwise  around the outer
edge of the floor. On a crowded floor you can form another line  of dance
inside the first one and even a third one if it’s really crowded so if  you
were hanging from the ceiling like spider man looking down it would look  like
a giant bulls eye. For those of us that like to stop and jump and spin and
kick we should first move to the middle of the bulls eye that way we don't
stop  the line of dance and we don't injure anyone with our jumping and
kicking and  everyone is happy.

These rules suck for Nuevo Tango….no jumping spinning  and kicking on a
crowded social dance floor. But hold on, I just saw that old  dude leading a
boleo…what gives him the right to do it and not me? The  experienced leader
will lead a soft low boleo he will pay attention to the line  of dance he will
use his floor craft to lead figures that will not harm others  on the floor
and he won't slow down the line of dance. Remember the nature of  Nuevo
Tango is to spin at incredible high speeds stay in one spot for long  periods
of time and lead the follower to kick at least as high as a Radio City
Rockette.

The Solution:
This is the hard part and I'm not sure I know  the answer perhaps separate
milongas for Nuevo and Traditional is the only  solution?
If anyone has any suggestions let the organizers know. If we talk  about a
challenge we can find a solution.