[Tango-L] Retiring Meet in the Middle

Karen Whitesell kglass02 at centurytel.net
Tue Oct 13 18:33:41 EDT 2009

Dear tango friends,

Just so you know, if you were not here, you missed the last Meet in the
Middle Tango Festival in Mt Vernon, Missouri.  It was 6 years running, and
this and the last few years, I was running out of steam.

I opened in 2000, had my first milonga, and in 2004, my first festival. I
have made hundreds of friends and exposed hundreds of people to the power of
tango.

I can say I created a very successful event, but did not create a local
community, big enough to support the effort.  You could say I was a
successful failure.

So I am not the promoter anymore, just the dancer.  I just wanted to dance,
but had to promote it to do so. This is a commonality with individuals far
from major cities.  Thank goodness it is growing everywhere and it is
continuing to be easier to reach some tango somewhere. In my 12 years of
tango, the desert has bloomed.

I am offering my building for sale, hopefully bought by a tango couple.
That would make a lot of people happy, to get to tango again in a most
beautiful place.  Watch Tango-A for more about the specks of the building
for sale.

That's a great feeling to once again join in on discussions like I could do
before becoming a promoter. Writing to Tango-A was just business, Tango-L is
fun.

If the building doesn't sell, the ballroom becomes private space.  But,
we'll roll up the rug if you are passing through.

I'll be traveling to tango.  Hope to see you on distant floors somewhere.

Karen