[Tango-L] resubmitting in plain text

Jocelyn Paine jocelynpaine at gci.net
Tue Oct 13 12:33:42 EDT 2009

Alistair Macaulay, the dance critic of the NY Times, has a blushing
rave of Gabriel Missé and Natalia Hills in his piece about the
upcoming NYC fall dance events. It is worth listening to the
multimedia link to get the audio expanded version and hear his
enthusiasm. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/arts/dance/13maca.html
For a non-tango dancer (I'm presuming) he shows a moderately good
appreciation of the dance. His review of them at the Vail
International Dance Festival is even more breathlessly impressed.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/11/arts/dance/11evenings.html?
_r=1&scp=1&sq=review%20tango%20%20vail%20international%20dance%
20festival&st=cse <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/11/arts/dance/
11evenings.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=review%20tango%20%20vail%20international
%20dance%20festival&st=cse>

What impresses me is that Macaulay is criticizing tango in the
context of the larger forum of the dance world, up against other
forms of dance, and still singles Missé and tango out!! Finally, a
recognition not tangled up with musings on the sensuality, passion,
erotic lure, etc. (though he pants a little about Hills' dress), but
more about the athleticism, the precision, the training, the skill.

Jocelyn