[Tango-L] To the ladies on Tango-L - What makes for a good dance?

Myk Dowling politas at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 13:02:18 EDT 2009

Vince Bagusauskas wrote:
> More importantly, in the last few days I have been in correspondence with
> Dierdre which made me take stock on: nuevo,  life in BsAs, gringos and the
> dominance of leaders navel gazing on Tango-L, whereas all she wants is a
> bloody good dance.  Maybe one day Dierdre we can can catch-up and see if I
> can measure up.

This is a good point. I can talk for hours about what it's like as a
leader; what I'd like to hear from this list is what I can do to make
things more enjoyable for the ladies I dance with. Here's a few
questions to start things off. Replies from ladies/followers are
particularly desired here.

How firm an embrace do you like? There's a big range between a firm hug
and a gentle arm resting on your back. What's best, or what
circumstances make different options right at the time?

Ganchos, colgadas, volcadas, etc - are they fun to be led into? How many
in a dance is good?

What's better, a dance with lots of changes of direction and swirling
around, a dance stepping only forward and side steps, but really
following the rhythm, a mix of both, or some other focus?

Leaders get to choose the kind of dancing they like to do, and followers
pretty much have to make do with what's being offered. So what exactly
does make for a "bloody good dance"?

Myk,
in Canberra