[Tango-L] N.U.E.V.O.

Laura V laura at lavatop.com
Thu Oct 8 06:34:17 EDT 2009

Not every tango community is large enough to support separate
traditional and nuevo milongas. When I dj, I usually throw in a couple
of alternative tandas, because I know some of the dancers love it. Not
everyone dances to these, but surprisingly, more and more people try it,
just to let loose a bit. If they don't want to, then they can use the
time to get a drink, chat with friends, etc. We also have dancers using
open embrace and larger figures during traditional tunes, not a problem
if everyone respects the line of dance and space involved.

The dancing in the video clip from Portland is pretty wild - because the
music called for it and there was space for it. I didn't see any bumping
though...nuevo dancers don't walk backward in the line of dance, do
they? I also noticed at least a few couples in close embrace. Possibly
they were hoping for the song to finish and something a bit more musical
to take its place, who knows. This was after all just one random song at
an unspecified time of the evening; I would be surprised if the entire
milonga was of exactly the same flavor, as  a good nuevo dj should vary
the mood and intensity during the evening just as a traditional dj would.

Most milongas and festivals I've attended in Europe (Sweden, Holland,
Germany, UK) seem to accommodate a mix of traditional and nuevo, but the
traditions (the tandas, cortinas, cabeceo, dance direction, etc) are
still very much in place, as they should be. These "rules" (more like
guidelines) have developed over time for a reason...to keep the evening
running smoothly.

Just my observations!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS9sMTtozZI