[Tango-L] Tango Styles II

Myk Dowling politas at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 14:53:22 EDT 2009

ECSEDY Áron wrote:
> My example was definitely not about astronomy. It was about beliefs. It
> was about a dogmatized, majority belief that held on for centuries, and
> the recognition of the errors in this belief by a minority. It was about
> a few people who started to think differently instead of continuing the
> tradition and who's ideas were rejected, but later vindicated.

The difference here is that astronomy is a topic where there is a clear
objective truth, while the question of whether "Nuevo" is a style or
purely a method of teaching is a human construct, with no objective
reality beyond usage.
> Obviously, I do not think I am anywhere near Galileo, but I wanted to
> underline that just because a lot of people in the list had been taught
> as Sergio suggested, to artificially classify dancing into THESE three
> styles, instead of finding some other, more tangible descriptions, the
> concept maybe wrong altogether.

Conversely, just because some people said that Nuevo was a teaching
method and not a style does not mean that there is not now an
identifiable style which is called Nuevo, both by practitioners and
non-practitioners.

Myk,
in Canberra