[Tango-L] Nuevo Milonguero

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Sun Oct 4 23:54:16 EDT 2009

When I was learning tango in the mid-1990s, nuevo clearly referred to
the work of Gustavo, Fabian and Chicho. Nuevo meant analysis and
exploration. I know that these days some people use nuevo to mean a
style (or even a music?... although that doesn't make any sense to at
all). To me "style" is something you put on top of tango, and is a
choice, as in choice of embrace, choice of figures, choice of
appearance.

If we're inventing, we could make up other names: Mis-tango, Meh-
tango, Neo-Tango, and even Non-tango.

I really liked Ecsedy's comment about Nuevo, reminding us that Nuevo
is NOT a style or form of dancing. I agree with him that Nuevo is more
appropriate to refer to a method of analysis. This restricted
definition of nuevo FREES US UP to view tango as multi-dimensional.
Analysis, technique and style are different dimensions.

In other words, to me:
  - tango (the essence) is about feeling, intuition, musicality,
energy, dynamics, relationship and culture.
  - steps are about analysis, mechanics, choreography, and decisions
about how to move.
  - style is the look and appearance of tango.
  - history is the rich tradition of tango in it's time periods and
neighborhoods.

In my analysis, nuevo only usefully refers to the middle item.

Stylistically: If "milonguero" (whatever that means) is my preferred
style, my purpose is to express music, and the energy of partnership.
Milonguero means in the choreographical sense, my steps are dictated
by trying to maintain a very close connection at all times.

Technically: Yes, I have studied and incorporate "nuevo" methodology
in the gustavian sense. And as a teacher and dancer I really
appreciate technical issues of axis and balance between axes, symmetry
and mirrors, possibilities and technical analysis. Steps and technique
are certainly helpful for expression.

Essentially: But, the most important thing remains: dancing tango is
mainly about expressing music and feelings.

Historically, if we talk about Tango,it is so important that tango not
lose its ties to its traditions and history.

On Oct 4, 2009, at 12:13 PM, Ecsedy Áron wrote:

>> This movement, sometimes called 'el puente' (bridge) can be seen now
>> and then in Buenos Aires milongas, but one may have to wait an hour
>> or
>> so scanning the floor to see it. However, in this movement, the woman
>> is not displaced from her position, i.e., her feet do not change
>> position. It is  not a 'volcada' (fall) as used in nuevo, where the
>> off axis tilt is so extreme it causes the woman to fall off her axis
>> and step forward.
>>
> IMHO It is the same thing technically. The difference is only in the
> amount (which I believe is the question of personal preference =
> style).
>
> I believe that 'nuevo' became a term that doesn't describe a form of
> dancing. It doesn't really mean any type or style of dancing that
> could
> be identified without doubt just by looking.
>
> The few things that nuevo DOES mean is:
> - a structured way of building up your dancing (which rather a
> method of
> teaching of philosophy of learning) vs. building it up by imitation of
> sequences or moves only that was devised by the teacher (which
> probably
> never existed in a pure form in the first place)
> - a free, open way of thinking about tango as a dance, which means
> there
> is a POSSIBILITY of doing all moves possible by a couple in embrace to
> tango music vs. doing only a set of moves, form, or extent of moves
> and
> not doing others, as it is not in the tradition (of a certain teacher,
> style, area, community etc.)
> - goal in the structure of nuevo is to identify the simplest and
> smallest common technical elements that forms the basis of all and
> every
> tango style, that are intercompatible on a very wide domain of moves
> - another goal is to identify the ways to increase internal body
> awareness of these technical elements, to devise methods that make
> connection, communication between couple understandable for those
> who do
> not understand it yet

Tom Stermitz
http://www.tango.org