[Tango-L] Aron's answers about nuevo for those who asked #1

Ecsedy Áron aron at milonga.hu
Sun Oct 4 20:18:57 EDT 2009

--Tangocherie asked:

'No, but in tradition-minded BsAs, dressing in "elegant sport" (no
jeans, shorts, cargo pants, or athletic shoes), is in respect to the
tango. Normally gentlemen wear nice slacks with a button shirt. Jackets
or tuxedos are not necessary.'

I've been to BsAs several times. For some portenos, at SOME milongas it
is still part of the tradition. For some (and there is a generational
gap there) isn't. Actually, the whole jeans/cargo pant stuff with the
suede lining ORIGINATES in BsAs, along with the Puma shoes, branded
T-shirts...this is the way (young) people dress in the streets. The only
difference is that I found a lot better designed (and a lot cheaper)
casual fashion there then anywhere in Europe.

--Vince asked:

So why do so many people make a pilgrimage to BsAs?

Because the dance is, erroneously, called Tango Argentino outside Latin
America, so people think that they can get the real stuff only there. Of
course it helps a LOT to go there, experience the continuation of the
culture that gave birth to tango, especially if you come from a very
different one, but for most people this is not the REASON why people go.

As I've said: I know what I'm saying, but tango, especially the tango we
are talking about here on a list filled with dancers not living in
Buenos Aires, is a phenomenon that is driven by people outside
Argentina. We might like the culture (I do), but we are NOT of that
culture. Nevertheless, our interest, our communities, our milongas
OUTSIDE Argentina, the teachers who visit us for our euros, dollars and
yens are those which define tango today - even inside Argentina, even if
there are still many locals learning tango. And this is not even
something new. Tango itself was made by a mixture of ethnicities,
cultures within Argentina, but became mainstream by massive external
influence in the past and then revived and kept alive by massive
external influence. So what you say is just strengthening my example:
BsAs is a museum of tango. Of course it is NOT only a museum, as the
most popular dancers are still Argentines. But the part you tried to
imply very much is. But the actual 'content' of tango in general is
already changing. Even 'traditional milongueros' began to use the ideas
generated by nuevo, since nuevo is an inclusive term: using nuevo you
can describe any style of tango.

--
Ecsedy Áron

Tel: +36 20 66-36-006