[Tango-L] Nuevo Milonguero

Ecsedy Áron aron at milonga.hu
Sun Oct 4 14:13:32 EDT 2009

> This movement, sometimes called 'el puente' (bridge) can be seen now
> and then in Buenos Aires milongas, but one may have to wait an hour or
> so scanning the floor to see it. However, in this movement, the woman
> is not displaced from her position, i.e., her feet do not change
> position. It is  not a 'volcada' (fall) as used in nuevo, where the
> off axis tilt is so extreme it causes the woman to fall off her axis
> and step forward.

IMHO It is the same thing technically. The difference is only in the
amount (which I believe is the question of personal preference = style).

I believe that 'nuevo' became a term that doesn't describe a form of
dancing. It doesn't really mean any type or style of dancing that could
be identified without doubt just by looking.

The few things that nuevo DOES mean is:
- a structured way of building up your dancing (which rather a method of
teaching of philosophy of learning) vs. building it up by imitation of
sequences or moves only that was devised by the teacher (which probably
never existed in a pure form in the first place)
- a free, open way of thinking about tango as a dance, which means there
is a POSSIBILITY of doing all moves possible by a couple in embrace to
tango music vs. doing only a set of moves, form, or extent of moves and
not doing others, as it is not in the tradition (of a certain teacher,
style, area, community etc.)
- goal in the structure of nuevo is to identify the simplest and
smallest common technical elements that forms the basis of all and every
tango style, that are intercompatible on a very wide domain of moves
- another goal is to identify the ways to increase internal body
awareness of these technical elements, to devise methods that make
connection, communication between couple understandable for those who do
not understand it yet

In simple terms: using the scientific method to analyse, teach or
'build' (improvise) tango. It is the result of the same process that
happened to all folklore dances around the world which required a
teacher (vs. was learned in its natural environment by imitation only).

There are thousands of pages of research on the subject. If you use the
results on tango, it yields only this: tango as it was danced does not
exists anymore, as ALL the original social factors, institutions,
locations, cultural background has changed, disappeared or was replaced
by other forms.

The present tango has teachers, instead of self-teaching societies,
present tango has milongas organized by a subculture of dancers for a
subculture of dancers, instead of mainstream business to the general
population, present tango has choreographed shows, which did not exist
before, present tango is mostly danced by non-porteno people, outside
BsAs/Montevideo barrios, mostly whom are upper middle class
intellectuals with university degrees, openness to the world, sometimes
speaking several languages, vs. the uneducated porteno lower class
workers, later on mostly middle class non-intellectual professionals
with still a lot less education, present tango is danced by people
conditioned for the present day perception of personal freedom, goals,
rights, way of life, social rules, sexual roles, vs. something that
existed quite a few large political, social, technical and cultural
revolutions before.

Face it: what is NOT 'nuevo' is really just an attempt to imitated the
form of a dance that was danced a very long time ago in a different era.
A historical dance. It is the same thing as if you would try to recreate
the 80s style in pop. The 80s pop is still pop, the same way 2009's
popular music is called pop. Are the two the same? Surely not. Are they
called the same? Most definitely yes. Are the former still current? No,
unless you specifically play it at a retro-party. (We still have balls
where we dance a late 18th century dance - waltz - onto late 19th/early
20th century music, in usually mid-20th century clothing, but those are
not your everyday life are they?) Of course some forms of music do
change so much that they get a new name after a certain time, but that's
not the issue here.

If the time distance in this example is not 'big' enough, then take
classical styles. There are huge differences between styles: baroque
spanned two hundred years. Vivaldi is a literally power metal compared
to Monteverdi, but it is still the same style. (NB: the actual naming of
'baroque' style in music was invented almost 50 years AFTER tango
appeared, and was not generally used until the later era of the golden
age of tango...so, names do not mean anything)

Cheers,
Aron

--
Ecsedy Áron