[Tango-L] Nuevo Milonguero

RonTango rontango at rocketmail.com
Thu Oct 1 12:42:18 EDT 2009

I agree this is not nuevo milonguero. It is 2 women dancing together and changing roles. Ignoring that, it otherwise looks like tango milonguero, the tango danced in the milongas of Buenos Aires. However, same sex couples dancing together are extremely rare in the over 100 traditional milongas in Buenos Aires. It is not the norm in traditional tango culture, where a man leads and a woman follows. However, there are a few non-traditional milongas such as La Marshall where same sex couples or role reversal is commonplace. These milongas are clearly labeled or identified in advertising as non-traditional in one sense or another.

As for nuevo milonguero, it is a label used to describe the insertion of nuevo elements such as volcadas and colgadas into tango milonguero, i.e., the use of these elements in a close embrace. It is a term that is used for marketing purposes, to attract people to tango danced in close embrace who would otherwise not be interested. Nuevo elements are not part of the tango milonguero danced in the milongas of Buenos Aires.

Many will say that nuevo elements are derived from traditional tango. A volcada is a 'fall'. Movements such as a calesita with a tilt (used rarely in Bs As milonga), sometimes pointed to as the 'origin' of the volcada, are not volcadas; the women does not fall from her axis. A milonguero does not pull or push a woman off her axis. Bad dancers might. The only colgadas I have seen in Buenos Aires milongas are the jewelry around women's necks. As for 'linear', 'circular' and whatever direction boleos and ganchos and the wrapping of legs around body parts that are best left unwrapped, they just don't occur in Bs As milongas. They violate other dancers' space. That is contrary to milonga codes.

Ron