[Tango-L] What makes a good dance, ladies?

Anton Stanley anton at alidas.com.au
Thu Nov 26 22:11:02 EST 2009

A woman's opinion: "The best leaders and followers are those who are so
relaxed, confident and flexible, in their own center that they can subtly
feel where their partner is at, physically, at that moment AND adjust to
whatever conditions are presented in and outside of themselves, with the
infinite variables."

I ask:
Is a leader born with these traits or is there a fair amount of experience
and learning involved. In which case I suspect a decent amount of analysis
is also involved in the outcomes.
So not wanting to "squeeze all the juice out of it" where does over analysis
start? Probably this question is also the answer. But it still leaves me in
the dark. We all know that there are poor, good, very good and excellent
leaders, but it seems to me that the following comment could suggest that
any leader could be any of the forgoing depending upon: " the truth is,
everything depends on the couple, the moment, the night, the place, the
music, the space, the onda, what I had for dinner and did earlier in the
day, as well as him/her."

Does this mean that as far as the dance is concerned, technically correct
steps and technique have comparably little influence on the quality of the
dance for the follower? That a beautiful consumation of the dance is more
dependent on external and unpredictable influences?

A further quote: "A good follower is a simple creature." (And I don't
believe pigs fly either.) "All we ask is that you, simply....whatever your
particular style of dance may be...be sensitive to our "signs"; don't bump
us into other people/furniture, constantly or grope us; stay on the beat and
try not to bore us with infinitely repetetive/inappropriate, steps/patterns.
Everything after that is "Gold"."
At the risk of being over analytical, what does "sensitive to our "signs""
mean? And "infinitely inappropriate steps"?

Whilst I totally understand and share the concept of dnb's comments, I
simply can't empathise with them, as they're too ethereal to be truly
meaningful. At least to men like myself. Leaders are somewhat like pilots,
who need to know precisely how to operate the controls and their effect,
interpret the instruments and be aware of how subtely they remain aloft.
This is what's required, for them to confidently launch themselves into the
skies. I can confidently assume that acquiring and understanding these
skills is not "squeezing the juice out of" flying.

I believe women are blessed with Andromeda dust, but men not only have to
bring the tango dance onto the floor, but need also to be in a state of
Tango if it is going to be "Gold".
Bringing the dance onto the floor involves lots of analysis and technique.
Bringing a state of Tango is even harder. Putting the two together is a
magical miracle. Luckily for me who is low on dance skills, I'm quite often
in a state of Tango so I have a lot of sublime moments. But unless I have
both, I'll never experience a true tango moment. I'm done analysing!

Anton