[Tango-L] Chicho interview - "Violent Milonguero" vs. "nice close embrace": what to do?

Laura V laura at lavatop.com
Tue Nov 24 12:24:38 EST 2009

Jack Dylan wrote:

> Maybe ladies need to be prepared to accept a few 'not-so-good' tandas so that they
> can get a few 'good' tandas. But that's everyone's choice to make.

True...but the way I understood Joanne's comments is that there is a
difference between a "bad" dancer and an inexperienced one. I'm quite
happy to dance with a few inexperienced dancers to balance getting the
chance to dance with some experienced ones. But a bad dancer is one who
is forcefully pulling and pushing you out of balance, bumping you into
the other dancers (perhaps without apologizing) and otherwise making the
dance very unpleasant; these are the ones who seem oblivious to the idea
of taking further lessons to improve because they think they are good
enough. Imagine the message they might get when they notice the woman
choosing a beginner dancer over them.

I do think there are discreet ways of making suggestions to men who are
truly trying to improve. Usually this is best done not during the tanda
you are dancing, but in a neutral conversation another time where you
might point out positive traits in leading that you like - in a general
way, not like you are correcting them. Often bad dancing occurs when the
leader is trying to do too many fancy steps that he is not capable of. I
love to point out good dancers who use very simple steps but have great
musicality...the inexperienced dancer is often surprised because they
can't "see" what's so great about that dancer. But I have also been
known to make gentle comments on the dance floor - I've sometimes used
"Excuse me, but I'm having a problem in my shoulder, would you mind
using very little pressure in your left arm"...or can you guys see right
through that one? ;)

Laura