[Tango-L] Chicho interview - "Violent Milonguero" vs. "nice close embrace": what to do?

Anton Stanley anton at alidas.com.au
Mon Nov 23 20:44:56 EST 2009

I can dance in a state of Tango spiritually and with the music without a
partner. But I don't believe I'm dancing tango. Throughout history, most
humans and primates danced singularly, connected to their spirituality and
the rhythmic beat. Many Eastern and Folk dances are still danced without the
technical association of a partner. Dancing, it would seem, can be
everything from singular to multiple partner, incrementally accommodating
very distant to very close connections between the dancers. The tango dance
thrust itself upon the world unambiguously as the closest connection dance
of all. I doubt if it had been loosely danced 18 inches or 2 feet apart that
tango the dance would have raised an eyebrow and now we'd all probably need
to consult a dictionary to discover what is meant by Tango. Would it be
wrong to suggest that the closer we connect with our partner, the more we
are dancing tango? Oh dear, what is meant by close connection?

Anton