[Tango-L] Tango on New Years

Myk Dowling politas at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 17:22:25 EST 2009

Barbra wrote:
> I can tell you that, from my experience, any tango offering is going to
> be better attended than you think - and not just by tango dancers.  I
> have recently been to two chamber music concerts featuring tango music
> - totally packed much to the surprise of the hosts.  I have done
> similar "tango rooms" or other tango programs at fund-raisers, and
> folks love it - even if they just come to watch.
This would match my experience. Tango i surprisingly popular amongst
people who don't actually go out of their way to learn it. We have quite
excellent attendance to tango workshops held at folk festivals here in
Australia. Of course, the alternative viewpoint then is whether the
tango dancers you do have are going to be happy having a crowd of
gawkers. Salting the room with some local tango dancers who are
expecting to be on display is probably a good idea.