[Tango-L] A. Tango And Smooth Ballroom: Help Or Hinderance

rhink2@netscape.net rhink2 at netscape.net
Fri Nov 13 12:48:36 EST 2009

Does
Argentine tango help one dance better ballroom? Does ballroom dancing
help one dance better A. tango? In other words, is there a
cross-training benefit or does one genre interfere with learning the
other?

Let me be more specific. Smooth (or traveling) ballroom dances, such as
waltz, foxtrot, quickstep, and ballroom tango, share things in common
with A. tango, but there are profound differences as well. Is there a
net gain or a net loss in knowing one style of dance when trying to
learn the other.

I have some ideas about this question, but I'm interested in hearing your opinions  before I express mine.

Bob

P.S. I  googled the list for this topic, but surprisingly I came up blank.