[Tango-L] Changes in O and P Visa processing in the U.S.

Melina Sedo & Detlef Engel tango at tangodesalon.de
Fri Nov 13 11:03:24 EST 2009

Hi all,

I followed the posts by Lisa, Ray and others and must say, that this
topic is really depressing...
This new law will definetely not help the Tango in the USA.

We've been working in the U.S. a couple of times now and always
entered with a P3 Visa. The process of applying for it  was very
complcated, annoying and costly. It contributed to making our stay in
the U.S. a financial loss, as the exchange rate Dollar is so weak and
the salaries in the U.S. comparably lower than in Europe.
We came nevertheless, because we enjoyed the teaching experience and
made great friends!

But with this complication in process (and most likely increase in
expense, as the lawyers will augment their fees), european teachers
will even be further discouraged to enter the U.S.. For us, this is
the fatal shot.
Ok, one could say: No great loss, we've still got all the Argentines
(for whom the dollar/peso exchange rate is fine), but they also will
think twice about it or try to enter with tourist visa.

And they will HAVE to, as I cannot imagine, that every Tango-school or
organizer will be willing to petition for a working permit on behalf
of a foreign teacher. It already took a great effort to find ONE
sponsor for a longer tours who was willing to do all the paperwork.
You will never convince all the private or semi-private organizers to
fill out the forms and take that kind of a responsibility. They will
just stop inviting foreigners.

But actually, this will result in an increase of jobs for the U.S.-
american teachers. So, it's now entirely up to you guys! :-)

Still, we're quite sad about this development .... :-(

Greetings from Buenos Aires,

Melina

MELINA SEDO & DETLEF ENGEL
www.tangodesalon.de