[Tango-L] Tanguera/o occupation?

RonTango rontango at rocketmail.com
Mon Nov 9 09:37:10 EST 2009

----- Original Message ----

> So - what broadly speaking - is your occupation (in the case of IT nerds
> and doctors, then friend of a friend is quite acceptable).

I'm a biologist/statistician by day. I live in a university community of 100,000 so most of our tango students are university students, faculty, and researchers. Most others are in white-collar professions where at least a bachelor's degree is needed, but we get a lot of people in tango with more than a bachelor's degree. However, this distribution of educational levels exists in the ballroom dance and folk dance communities here too. Salsa and swing are younger but all university affiliated. The only dance group that is blue collar here is country & western.

I think that if you don't have a university it is difficult for a city of 100,000 to establish a tango community. I'd be interested in hearing about exceptions.

Ron