[Tango-L] There are no side steps

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Mon May 18 14:47:10 EDT 2009

"I will tell you another secret, that
> proves my above statement - every single step in tango is part of a
> giro, either clockwise or counterclockwise.>

"But, suppose we're walking directly in-line in parallel feet - are the lady's backward steps back crosses or open steps - and which is which and why?"

Giro means "turn" so when you are walking straight ahead you are not doing a giro but *you can think that each one of the steps are part of a giro*. So for analytic purposes you can think that way but in actuality when you walk ahead you are not doing a giro (turn) you are walking in a line.

When the woman is executing a giro to the right she always crosses with the right leg and opens with the left one.  When she is executing a giro to the left she always crosses witht the left leg and opens with the right one.

So when she is walking backwards in a straight line each time she "crosses" with her right you can think of this being part of a turn to the right and when she is "crossing" with left you may think of that particular step as being part of a turn to the left.

So when she is walking back to the cross she steps forward with left, opens with right and *then she crosses with left*. You may think of this as being part of a left turn.

May you have many interesting giros,

Sergio