[Tango-L] side sacada

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Thu May 14 01:34:54 EDT 2009

> From: Noughts <damian.thompson at gmail.com>
>
> If there are 3 possible steps and there are only 3.  Forward, backward
> and sidewards, then there are only 3 'directions' that a sacada can
> come from...  If this is true, then a side sacada is just as valid as
> a side step.  >

While I agree with the theory and analysis, I'm sometimes a little
confused about what is actually happening, so can we be specific
for a moment?

The couple are in crossed feet, lady walking back, man forward
on her right side.

The lady takes a RF backward step [also known as an 'open step']
The man steps forward with his RF and Sacadas the inside of her
left leg with the outside of his right leg. This is a very common Sacada
and very easy to lead.

The man's leg is moving [mostly] forward but the Sacada is made with
the outside of the leg. So is this a Forward Sacada or a Side Sacada?

Another thing - everyone seems to agree on the mantra ... "there are
3 possible steps and there are only 3.  Forward, backward and sideward,"

But in the man's step described above, his foot first moves forward, but
then veers to the right to make the Sacada. So it appears to be a curved,
diagonal step. Is this a 4th possibility?

Jack