[Tango-L] How many figures do you need?

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Sun May 10 09:39:03 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Steve Littler <sl at stevelittler.com> wrote:
> How about the cruzada (cross), or the little cross (half-signal)? (Or is
> that already considered in Ocho Cortado?)
>
> I usually end back ochos with a cross or forward/backward boleo.

The terminology isn't always consistent. The linear walk to the cross,
where the woman crosses her left foot back in front of her right, is
occasionally seen as an exit from back ochos (crossed feet), but
rarely in parallel feet in Buenos Aires (as in the '8-count basic').
The cross coming from a woman's forward walk, pivot clockwise on right
foot and cross left in front of right, pivot counterclockwise is
sometimes called the 'ocho milonguero'. This could result as well as a
rebound from a boleo or rock step. These are seen often in Buenos
Aires milongas, although I believe the ocho cortado is by far the most
common sequence leading to the woman's cross.

Ron