[Tango-L] How many figures do you need?

Sergey Kazachenko syarzhuk at gmail.com
Sun May 10 06:45:22 EDT 2009

You don't *need* most of the ***adas. However, you *can* incorporate them to
spice up the dance.
Specifically:
- volcadas - I use them sporadically (at most once per song, usually <=1 per
tanda) if I feel the connection with the partner is especially strong; when
they work, they are fun!
- sacadas - there's one I especially enjoy, which is when you lead a giro to
your left, sacada on the open step to her right, therefore her left foot is
sent into a nice circle around her axis. The rest (and there are tens, if
not hundreds, of them, I know a guy, Miles, who came up with a
classification system, he's getting to a 1000 different ones now) are not
quite necessary;
- soltadas - I took one class at the festival. While I don't care much about
the soltadas themselves, the build-up to the one of them they showed
(underarm turn that brings the partner closer to you), when done at the
right moment at the end of the song, makes for a great finale, so I am
grateful for that class as well.

Sergey