[Tango-L] Is this good 'teaching'?

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 17 16:42:39 EDT 2009

Is good 'teaching' all about making the simple difficult?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQKtQxz0mV8
What I've learned from studying language acquisition is that the
'whole' is bigger than the sum of it's parts.
Chopping a dance up into it's parts in order to learn to dance,
has it's pluses and minuses...but seeing the whole dance as a 'whole'
has only it's plusses. So, we work with this.
 What I disagree with in this video, is alienating the student from
an already asimulated part of him/herself. Taking what would be familiar and making it foreign..My own belief is that fluency breeds more fluency.
..and getting away from fluency is just that..getting away from fluency.
 Dances are best enjoyed when they are fluently danced.
 So, I'm against practising awkwardness. What the heck are they doing, anyway??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQKtQxz0mV8