[Tango-L] How do you decide who to dance with?

Steve Littler sl at stevelittler.com
Fri Mar 20 11:32:10 EDT 2009

Dear Larry,

I have pretty much the same routine. I have been dancing 1.5 years. In
addition I would like to say that in my hometown I start the evening
with my favorite dance partner with who I also attend several lessons
and practica's each week and 1 private lesson a month. And I return to
her several times during the night, especially for a Vals or Milonga
tanda or if we are both sitting for a Tango (or after dancing with
beginners. She will tell me to lean more or lead with my chest more if I
have degraded my posture or compas after dancing with beginners.) I also
try to dance with the local teacher ladies one tanda if they come that
night. (I'll usually get some valuable feedback.) I also dance with
beginners as payback for ladies that danced with me in the beginning.

My hometown milonga runs about 5 hours with an attendance of about 30
and I may dance with most of the ladies that night depending on how many
attend. The last few Milonga tandas I dance with my favorite again since
she is a strong Milonga dancer and the floor is not very crowded at that
time and we can fly and make large patterns without disturbing other
couples.( I like to end the night on a strong Canaro milonga.)

If I drive out of town 2.25 hours to the Tampa Bay Tango Club monthly
milonga which is only about 2.5 hours long and has an attendance of
about 100, I dance with the 5-6 best dancers (non-teachers) - that I
already know from past experience - several times (and maybe 1 beginner
due to time constraints of a short night.)

El Stevito de Gainesville
http://gainesvilletango.wordpress.com/