[Tango-L] How do you decide who to dance with?

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Fri Mar 20 04:03:55 EDT 2009

Tonight I went to one of my favorite milongas, which is at the L.A.
Argentine Association.  I like go early to get a good parking spot and
my favorite table.  Not many people come that early so I was idly
thinking about this and that, that being how I pick the ladies to ask.

I have a routine which gradually evolved; I didn't plan it out.

The first people I think of are friends, then acquaintances who always
let me know they enjoy dancing with me.  I often don't dance with them,
though.  Most of them are good dancers, and popular for themselves.
Only if they seem to be sitting out a lot of dances do I check with
them to see if they want to dance but, for whatever reason, are not
being asked a lot that night.

Then I check for ladies who aren't dancing at all or very much, for any
of several reasons.  I have several motivations for this, selfish and
otherwise.  One is that I fear being rejected less.  And if they are
beginners they probably won't be highly critical of me.  I'm pretty
good after twenty years of tango and thirty years of lots of other
dancers before that, but I'm not super-terrific.  And I also know what
it is like to want to dance but not have the chance, so I sort of pay
back all the women who were kind to me by being kind to these ladies.

Soon I have warmed up not only physically but emotionally and
artistically, and I'm dancing well.  So I begin asking the more popular
ladies to dance.

There's more to my routine than that, but that's enough to get a
discussion started.  So.  How do you decide who to dance with?

Larry de Los Angeles
http://ShapechangerTales.com - story added: "Kassandra's Last Warning"