[Tango-L] arm angle, keith, huck

Keith Elshaw keith at totango.net
Fri Jun 19 14:52:20 EDT 2009

You know ... our personalities make us do things how we do them.

Every person on Earth should be given room and feel free to be/express
themselves, of course.

There are many who will be slightly different in performance than they
would be on a crowded dance floor.

I guess I decided a long time ago that this was not for me.

When I am "performing" or teaching, my own desire is to show social style.
I wish people to see that it is something they can do. This way, we get
more people. "Hey - I can do that!" is a good motivator.

So, if I'm dancing on an empty dance floor because it is an exhibition, I
still show how dancers with a lot of folks around them hold themselves.
Trying not to show a dis-connect between looking and doing.

My original comment was about that left arm of the leader being a fairly
aggressive signal that he wanted his space and you better stay away.

A guy like that on the dance floor is on a trip. It works. We all stay
away. Success.

For him.

Damper on enjoyment for the rest.

I'm just sayin'.

But my bias is that I love social dancing. Love a crowded dance floor.

The smaller me and my partner have to get - the happier I am. Tango tango.
I know this is not how a lot of performers think.

On a stage, one should project that "something" which calls for being
bigger than  you are.

Just sticking your left arm way out or way up or keeping your hand close
but your elbow out is telling people you have issues you haven't dealt
with yet.

As any woman will tell you, men are strange.

I think more men should follow so they can feel how silly they can be when
doing the macho thingy.