[Tango-L] A pair of great walkers

Keith Elshaw keith at totango.net
Wed Jun 17 15:34:35 EDT 2009

My reaction is this was a nice video to share.

And darned if I'm not prompted by it to make a comment or two; this
perhaps in particular relation to the recent threads about commenting on
teachers, etc. as well.

My own way of helping people move forward for years (in social tango) has
been to help simply it all by saying: walk, turn; walk, turn; do a little
thingy 3/4 of the way through when the music
tells you to slow down; walk, turn, end.

Anyone could argue that's over-simplification. But - reducing things to
the basics never hurt anyone. In the social dancing context.

And I try to get the men especially to have some energy from their knees
down ... kind of a sharpness and definiteness about moving.

So, I liked what this couple was doing. Very nice.

And then I have a little criticism. Purely a personal reaction.

Men who stick their left arm/hand up so high seem to me to be on kind of a
trip. 3 inches lower and they would appear to me to have a little
humility/modesty.

Always a good thing when privileged to dance with a lovely lady. No? In a
social dancing context.

Anyhow - bravo.