[Tango-L] Aus International TangoFest

John Lowry john at lowry.com.au
Mon Jun 15 03:03:02 EDT 2009

We travelled to this festival for the first time.  We found it to be
well organised and supported by all the major Tango teachers and
organisers in Sydney.  The workshop venue (NIDA) was excellent for the
purpose.  The milongas varied between restaurant and ballroom, a
pleasant mix of venues, formality and music, thanks to the guest
Dj's.  To be expected with a wide range and quality of dancers from
near and far, the crowded milongas were a little bumpy, but I can hold
my ground as well as any Argentine :).  Joaquin Amenabar's workshops
were exceptional.  Highly recommended to anyone who is interested in
dancing to the music (as opposed to max'ing speed / figures).  No
experience of the visiting dance teachers, since our dance style is
"milonguero" and, as with most festivals, this style of dance is not
catered for.  On balance, an enjoyable week-end of Tango.  Oh, and the
service in shops and restaurants  was friendly and helpful - no
exceptions.  Good quality meals are inexpensive.   Thanks Sydney.  See
you next year.
John