[Tango-L] Rhythm or Melody?

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Fri Jun 12 12:13:06 EDT 2009

If you are a follow, this depends on the skills of the leader, and what's
appropriate for the music.

The orthodox answer would be to say that the feet should always be in rhythm,
but the lead should be choosing to fit figures to the phrases of melody.  That
requires a medium to high understanding of music and medium to high level of
expressing musicality.  Beginning leads should stick to the basics.

Rhythm dancing is definitely suggested by certain orchestras with certain songs
with a pronounced habanera.  Other orchestras and tangos are more lyrical and
the rhythm backbone is light to nonexistent in some places.  Heavy rhythm can be
kind of draconian.  Not fun to do traspies and nothing more all the way down the
side of a long ballroom.

I have had tangos where the lead syncopates the feet, drops steps, or dances
more slowly than the beat for a phrase or two, then picks the rhythm back up.
If he communicates it, I can do it.  Those dances, are they 'rhythmic'?  They
are fantastic.  With other leads trying this, it's a disaster.

In open frame dance forms, such as lindy and salsa, I myself can choose whether
to dance to the saxophone as opposed to the drums, but only with a partner who
understands what I'm doing and is confident I will be in the right place on 1.
In tango, I'm pretty much dependent on the skills of the leader to choose
whether I dance to rhythm or the phrase.