[Tango-L] Aus International TangoFest

Myk Dowling politas at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 19:54:07 EDT 2009

Vince Bagusauskas wrote:
> Last night I talked to a guy from Melbourne who attended the
> festival.  He said that there was one Argentinean teacher couple there who
> were so average not only as teachers but as performers too, that he changed
> classes.

Yes, I was booked for three workshops with that couple, but only went to
two in the end. I really didn't need the mental aggravation another hour
and a half of their posturing and failure to actually teach would have
left me with.

>  I guess this was reflected in the  comment in the latest Canberra
> tango newsletter? Seems you got a gem with Joaquin.

Yes. "Mixed responses" would be a diplomatic way of putting it. I
certainly fall in the category of "outraged that I contributed to paying
for their airfare." I did manage to learn a couple of things from their
workshops, but it was in spite of their "teaching", not because of it.

Just goes to prove that winning championships doesn't mean you can
teach. I won't make a comment about their performances, because
performances don't really interest me. I much prefer dancing to watching
someone else doing a partially or fully rehearsed dance sequence. I
didn't even bother watching the performances on Friday night. Just got
out my phone and read for a bit.

Myk,
in Canberra