[Tango-L] Refusing a dance... <was Re: Is it Balls, or just a Heel?>

DocDAS@aol.com DocDAS at aol.com
Sat Jun 6 16:36:32 EDT 2009

Jack & Dubravko:
     Relax. Your entitled to politely refuse a  dance from anyone, male or
female. Jack I feel your pain but don't quite  understand it. Do you think
women are in pain or pained when they refuse you? Or  are you just one of
those lucky guys whose never been turned down on a request  for a dance, or for
that matter a date? God Bless.
     One should always try to avail oneself to request  for a dance but,
"Sorry. No Thanks" is OK. I've been dancing for a number  of years and have
never been to new milonga in a new city where I am a  'stranger in a strange
place', where a woman has asked me to  dance. And that's OK as well.
     In the end, and dare I raise the question, "Should  a woman ever ask a
man to dance" at a milonga that is? If they're friends, dance  partners
etc. that's a different story. I don't think it generally fits in with  the
style, origins and etiquette of tango. My personal opinion.....well let's  hear
it from you all first.
Dan

In a message dated 6/5/2009 9:47:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jackdylan007 at yahoo.com writes:

>  From: Dubravko Kakarigi <dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com>
>
> In  the absence of cabeceo, I find the situation even more complicated
when a
> lady comes to ask me to dance and I do not want to dance with her or
just do not
> wish to dance at the moment (tired, want to watch, not  inspired by the
music,
> whatever).

Hi  Dubravko,

You don't say what your response to the lady would be. In my  case, I'd
have
to be in real pain before I would turn down a lady's  request to dance.

Jack

Tango-L mailing  list
Tango-L at mit.edu