[Tango-L] Spanish

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Thu Jan 1 20:23:41 EST 2009

Perhaps the most noticeable and easiest adjusted-to difference of north
Argentine Spanish is how y and ll (which sound to English speakers like
the y in yes) are pronounced. It sounds like zh (the French j). This is
what you hear on the radio and TV and movies. But in Buenos Aires the
zh sound often becomes sh.

The singular you in many Spanish dialects is usted if formal, tu if
informal or familiar. In Rioplatense tu is replaced by vos. The verb-
form used with vos is different than in most other Spanish dialects,
but don't ask me how. I'm still struggling with verb forms in general.

Some commonly used nouns are different in Argentina, but you simply
have to get used to hearing them. There are too many to list and
memorize.

If you speak another variety of Spanish you may notice that the flow of
northern (Rioplatense) Spanish is different. It was heavily influenced
by southern Italian immigrants.

Another complication to getting along in Spanish in Argentina is that
there are a lot of immigrants, especially from nearby neighbors.

Larry de Los Angeles
http://ShapechangerTales.com - website of the Immortal Shapechanger
series