[Tango-L] Shocking "close embrace"

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Sat Feb 28 23:07:59 EST 2009

I live in Tokyo where summer is basically like a cross between a green
house and a sauna, and all the milongas are air conditioned.
Still, I know exactly who tends to sweat in the milongas and who
doesn't. I know that after dancing close embrace with a certain man all
the hair in and near my face will be dripping with the sweat that ran
from his hair into mine. Do I mind?
Obviously, it is a matter of personal sympathy or not, and,very
important, smell. Fortunately, Japanese do not usually smell, their
sweat glands are smaller and they eat differently and bathe and shower
all the time too.
I have a friend and colleague who does not even sweat much, but he likes
to dress up in shirts, ties and suits, and more often than not those
shirts are made of polyester and he obviously does not wear deodorant
and is from the West,  which means, the polyester makes him disaster
prone in this way. So, even though dancing with him can be fun, I
usually try to wriggle out of it after 2 or 3 songs, as I cannot take it
any longer than that, I cannot dance and hold my breath half of the time.
I know another guy who likes to burn a huge amount of energy on the
dance floor, rushing around the room in huge steps, quick turns, spins
and so on and he is a little chubby too and soon sweats profusely while
he does it. He does not smell, he is Japanese, he is fun to dane with,
but you end up getting wet too while dancing with him. Fortunately he
has the good sense of wearing cotton, t shirts, mostly, and he always
comes to the milongas with a Boston bag in which he carries all his
extra shirts, and he changes them in the bathroom every time he got
drenched again which I much appreciate. And he does not embrace you too
closely when he is dripping.

Now, I very much doubt that posture or core muscles have anything to do
with this problem, I do believe that keeping a proper diet with more
vegetables and less red meat, less beer and trying to maintain a healthy
or at least healthier weight would make a lot of difference.
Dressing up in suits and ties can be counter productive as they make you
feel hot, do not ever wear anything knitted to a milonga (it feels awful
to the partner even if you do not sweat), do bring a change of clothes,
and the hosts should make sure that a reasonably cool, fresh climate is
maintained in the room by using air conditioning, opening the windows or
whatever is possible.
Yes, and if you go dancing while being hugely overweight and retaining
plenty of water in your body, well...food for thought. Skinny people do
not really sweat much, so maybe this is one more reason I am so lucky
living in Japan where people live mainly on fish, rice, shredded raw
cabbage, tofu and water.

And Greg, I suggest, you try powder instead of oil, oil might just make
you slippery in addition to being wet.

Astrid