[Tango-L] Tango-L is still alive

CHARLES KELLY carlitokel at usa.net
Fri Feb 13 13:46:58 EST 2009

TangoL is still alive.  I read it regularly, but respond only very
occasionally.  The tango "scene," both dance & music, has changed in BA and in
USA in recent years, and is continuing to change and evolve.  That is a good
thing, and shows that Tango is indeed alive; not dead or dying.

That being said, now two items; one enquiry, one suggestion:

1. Enquiry:  I've recently enjoyed seeing quite a few references to comments
by Chicho; I'm wondering what is the source of this.  Is/was there a published
interview, article, book, Internet-piece,...? If so, could someone please
cite.  Thanks.

2.  Improving TangoL content:  Personally, I generally find most interesting
and useful, not the long monologues and/or diatribes, or even the well-meaning
but often lengthy descriptive narratives -- but rather, references (URLs) to
video examples (usually uTube), with short specific commentary, observations,
or questions related to them.  Tango exists in a visual-time-space medium, so
using video clips as a starting point for discussion seems a useful way to
focus things a bit.

Of course some topics, such as tango etiquette, mores, manners, codes,
syndromes, etc.; or, discussion of, say, tango lyrics, will not naturally lend
themselves to video, and would therefore be expected to continue as text
discussions.  However I, for one, would welcome more discussion of the letera
& musica, and less ranting about perceived indiscretions on the dance-floor.

Best regards to all.