[Tango-L] Definition of "Social Tango"

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 14:22:48 EST 2009

Shahrukh Merchant wrote:

>> ... I really don't think that claiming a
>> certain difference between "nuevo tango" and "traditional tango," or
>> claiming a certain definition of those or any other terms, is
>> *automatically* offensive to others who may feel that they do a good job
>> straddling both forms ....

Agreed entirely.  I guess that I have become hypersensitive due to the occasional
use of the expression "traditional" as lead in to an attack on those who dance "show tango" when
in fact, as you point out, many on the forum do dance very broadly.
My bad.

>> (1) FIRSTLY danced in a way considerate of everyone else on the dance floor...

Agreed entirely.  Again, what I am (over)reacting to is the occasionally presented position that
unless one is dancing close embrace with simple steps, one is almost certainly dancing "show tango"
and is _not_ being considerate.  However since one can easily dance all of the everything in
tango, including colgadas, back secadas, soltadas, etc, in a small considerate manner occupying
literally no more space than is required for an ocho cortada or molinete, I indeed should not
take this rather defensive stance.  Yes, rude behavior on the dance floor is simply that -
rude behavior.

David